You are here

Travel Insurance FAQs

Why do I need travel insurance?

Travelling is supposed to be fun....however, accidents happen! And when they do, they can ruin both your trip, and your finances. But with travel insurance, you don't have to worry about unexpected incidents. Whether your flight experiences delays, you lose your bags, or you become ill mid-trip, having a valid travel insurance policy can help when you need it most. Remember the old saying, "if you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to travel!"

How does the 24/7 Medical Assistance work with Cover-More?

All Cover-More Travel Insurance policy holders have access to Cover-More's globally available, 24/7 in-house emergency medical and travel assistance team. Call them immediately on 0800 500 225 if:
1. You are admitted to hospital or if you anticipate your expenses will exceed $500. This allows us to manage your case and determine the best options for your care.
2. You need help finding an English speaking doctor while travelling.
3. You need help for lost or stolen passports or travel documents.
4. You need local legal help

What travel insurance policies do you offer?

As part of the Cover-More product we have two types of policies available; Options - Cover-More’s most comprehensive travel insurance policy, offering top-level cover for your travel plans, medical care and personal possessions. And Travelsure - Travelsure provides you with comprehensive insurance focusing only on coverage you believe you need. Both Product Disclosure Statements are available on our website.

Can you cover me for snowboarding or skiing?

Sure can! This will be for an extra premium. Please be aware though, there is no cover if you are snow skiing or snowboarding off-piste, racing or participating in a professional capacity!

Can I buy travel insurance for a one-way trip?

Yes. Depending on your age, the Options or Essentials plans cover trips up to 12 months duration in an ‘Area 1’ destination (Worldwide which includes the USA/Canada/Africa) and trips up to 18 months duration for all other destinations.

Can I get travel insurance if i'm going away for over a year?

In most cases, yes. Depending on your age and where you are travelling to, Cover-More Travel Insurance policies allows you to stay away for a maximum of 12 or 18 months.

Can I get travel insurance if I am pregnant?

Yes, Cover-More offers cover for pregnancy to protect you up to the 24th week (23 weeks, 6 days). According to the World Health organisation, the safest time for pregnant women to travel is the second trimester. In some instances you may need to complete a medical assessment form as part of the insurance application process.

What do I do if my luggage is delayed by an airline or transport provider?

If a transport provider overseas delays all pieces of your checked luggage for more than 24 hours, you can claim for the purchase of essential items of clothing and toiletries. These limits are:
1. Options Policy: Up to $500 for delays in excess of 24 hours and another $500 for delays in excess of 72 hours.
2. Travelsure Policy: Up to $375 for delays in excess of 24 hours and another $375 for delays in excess of 72 hours. In such an event you must obtain a report from the transport provider confirming the delay and how long it was delayed for.

How do I make a travel insurance claim?

The easiest way to make a claim with CoverMore is to use the online claims tool available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you need further assistance with your claim please contact CoverMore Travel Insurance on 0800 500 225.