Best Price Guarantee*
Our stores boast great rates, but if you do find a better price, we'll guarentee to beat it.
On foreign exchange rates when you order with Travel Money NZ.
Pick up locally
With over 20 convenient store locations across New Zealand, you can securely pick up your Pesos with no hassles.
About the currency
Coins and notes
Small peso coins were hard to come by in Argentina for a few years, particularly in larger cities. However, this issue has improved in the wake of the Argentine financial crisis, which wreaked havoc with the country’s economy from 1999 to 2002. Small change isn’t such a big deal these days.
Facts about the currency
- The current peso replaced the austral in 1992 at a rate of 1 peso = 10,000 australs.
- Many ATMs in Argentina only offer low withdrawal limits.
- In 1994, a coin replaced the $1 peso note.
- In 2002, a new $2 peso coin was introduced to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the death of Eva Peron (the First Lady of Argentina and one of the country’s most famous cultural icons).
- There are plans to introduce a new series of notes: $200, $500 and $1,000 peso notes will soon be added to the currency.
Check out the exchange rate between the currencies. Want to wait for a particular rate? Simply sign up for a currency alert and we’ll give you a heads up when the Argentine Peso has hit the magic number.