Heading to Hong Kong for your next trip?
Whether you plan to tram it up to the top of Victoria Peak, take in the sights and smells of Temple Street Night Market, visit the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island or indulge in a night of Cantonese opera, tango or karaoke - you're going to need some Hong Kong dollars (HKD) while you're there.
Luckily, at Travel Money NZ we can offer you great rates on your NZD to HKD exchange, both in any of our 20+ stores and online.
The HKD is the official currency of Hong Kong, but it is also used in Macau as the two regions are close to each other and have currencies that have similar exchange rates.
The dollar is broken into 100 cents, or sin in Cantonese.
The amount of 10 cents is called 1 houh in Cantonese, but a common English term for the HKD - especially for Western expats living in Hong Kong - is "honkie".
HKD HK$ or $
Cents & dollars - 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, $2, $5, $10
Dollars - $10, $20, $50, $100, $150, $500, $1000
How do I get my HKD?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 0800 732 294.
Did you know? HKD Currency Facts
- In Hong Kong, coins are issued by the Government, but banknotes are issued by 3 commercial banks
- HKD banknotes contain text written in English and Chinese, along with Arabic numerals
- When British rule of Hong Kong ended, they replaced the image of Queen Elizabeth II on HKD coins with an image of the Bauhinia flower
- The HKD is currently the 13th most traded currency in the world
- Hong Kong is considered to be a highly free-market with a highly developed economy, and is part of the Four Asian Tigers - a phrase referring to Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan
Want to see how far your HKD will go? Check out our Hong Kong Travel Money Guide for tips and destination costs.
Why exchange with Travel Money NZ