Indo para o Brasil? If you're heading to vibrant, dazzling, enchanting Brazil for your next holiday, you may want to brush up on your Portuguese before you go.
You should also look into getting your Brazilian Reais ready so you have money available for samba dancing in Salvador, whale-watching off the coast, sightseeing in Rio and all that beautiful Brazil has to offer.
Luckily, at Travel Money NZ, we specialise in making your foreign exchange simple, so we can help you organise your BRL's at the best exchange rate available!
Introduced to Brazil in 1994, the Brazilian Real is divided into 100 centavos (cents). The BRL is also sometimes used in the neighbouring countries of Uruguay and Paraguay.
To get your foreign exchange organised before you go, just speak to one of our Travel Money Experts in any of our 20+ stores across New Zealand. Or, you can also order online and pick up your BRL from your nearest store.
Centavo - 5, 10, 25, 50; Real - R$1
Real - R$2, R$5, R$10, R$20, R$50, R$100
How do I get my BRL?
Use our conversion rate calculator or click on the button below to order your currency online in a few easy steps.
Find your nearest store and place your order with a Travel Money Expert.
Click on "Contact Us" to send us an email, or call us on 0800 732 294.
Did you know? BRL Currency Facts
- In Portuguese, the word "real" means both royal and real
- Instead of using a decimal point for the decimal separator, the Brazilian reals have a comma. The thousands separator for Brazilian money is the period. So, R$6,00 is actually 6 reais, not R$600, while R$6.000 is six thousand reais
- The female effigy on all Brazilian banknotes, a young woman wearing a crown of bay leaves, is an important symbol of the Brazilian Republic
- Each Brazilian banknote has a different animal on the back, for example, the R$20 has a golden lion tamarin and the R$100 has a dusky grouper, a type of fish
- A constellation is printed on each Brazilian coin
Why exchange with Travel Money NZ